water: 4 glasses
1 egg + 1 egg white, 4 slices tomato, coffee (no sugar!)
Black bean & veggie soup, 1 slice whwh bread (no butter!)
Steamed salmon; spinach & rice casserole, steamed green beans.
1/2 of a large orange
Total calorie intake: 1,025 calories. Well under my goal, but I wasn't really hungry for much else. I definitely should have snuck in a handful of almonds or something similar between breakfast and lunch.
1 hour in the pool with Theresa. We did lots of laps, but admittedly they were only moderate intensity, but we did continuously move for the whole hour!
So I feel I did really well. Yippee!!
By the way, the spinach and rice casserole was a huge hit with John, Holden and myself. Here's the recipe if you're interested:
Spinach & Rice Casserole
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 174 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion & garlic in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.