Friday, April 30, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

Yesterday was only an OK day for food. While everything I ate was healthy, I'm pretty sure it was too high in fat in calories. However, I'm still OK with this, since there was no sugar and no processed foods involved at all.

Breakfast was an egg with whwh toast and a bit of butter.

Lunch was leftover blackbean burrito (So good. Seriously. Try it! Recipe below!)

Dinner was eggplant parmesan. I made this for the first time ever, and it was pretty good! I think there's too much cheese in it for it to be deemed totally healthy, and I think my serving was much too big.

Eggplant parmesan is a very weird dish. You do everything you can to the eggplant to take out it's bitter taste and it ends up tasting like nothing. You sweat it (slice eggplant thinly, sprinkle sea salt on it and let it stand for 30 minutes, rinse, pat dry), then bread it, then bake it, then layer it with cheese and marinara sauce. It's delicious, but you can't really taste eggplant. You taste cheese, breadcrumbs, and marinara sauce.

We all loved it though, including Holden, and my dad who came by for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment