Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Clean Eating magazine

John picked up a new (to us) magazine this week called Clean Eating. It has a bunch of good articles about health, kitchen stuff, eating non-processed foods and lots of recipes. Tonight we tried out one of their recipes for pasta alfredo with shrimp & veggies. It was really good, and healthy too. I've added it to my rotation of recipes. I'll also be making one of the desserts this weekend for Thanksgiving, a layered lemon cream tart. I'll post about that after we try it.

Here's the recipe for the Alfredo Cream Sauce

1 cup 2% milk
2 1/2 tsp arrowroot (we didn't have any so we used tapioca instead, you can also use cornstarch)
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk & arrowroot. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese, whisking until melted. Whisk in yogurt, nutmeg, salt, pepper. Cover and set side. If necessary, re-warm over low heat before serving.

This recipe was tasty, really easy, and fast to make. I prepped my veggies first, then started making the sauce. While I was making the sauce, I started to boil the water for pasta. By the time the water was boiling the sauce was done.Then I started sautéeing my veggies and shrimp and started the pasta. By the time the pasta was done, the veggies & shrimp were done too.

For the veggie/shrimp mixture, I sautéed 2 shallots, 1 package (thawed) frozen cooked shrimp, snap peas (lots), and asparagus (lots) for about 7 minutes while the pasta was cooking.

This made enough for 3 dinners tonight (Holden eats adult portions when he likes what I've made and this recipe had 2 thumbs up from him!) and 2 leftover lunches tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment